When you visit the hospital because of strange symptoms bothering you, the last thing you’ll want to be diagnosed with is cancer. The sound of the disease’s name alone can already render a heart attack to anyone because of its popularity in causing thousands if not millions of death worldwide.
Cancer defined is the uncontrollable growth and spread of abnormal cells in the body eventually invading tissues and manipulating the functions of different organs.
It is caused mostly by observing unhealthy lifestyle or consuming or using harmful food or substances like alcohol and tobacco.
Out of the over 200 different kinds of cancer that can occur in the human body, colon cancer is among the most common killer hijacking the large intestine through tumor growth.
In the United States alone, an estimated number of 135, 430 have been recorded in 2017 with 50, 260 estimated colon cancer-related deaths in the same year.
With these humungous numbers in mind, you are probably already thinking about how this dangerous cancer can be avoided. After all, prevention definitely is better than cure.
A recent study conducted by the Pennsylvania State University found that purple potatoes can cause dramatic decrease in the risk of acquiring colon cancer.
The research, which used pigs to experiment on the effects of purple potatoes in the body, proved that these colorful vegetables can lower the levels of interleukin-6 (IL-6) which is the pro-inflammatory protein that amplifies the chances of the deadly disease.
Fast Facts About Purple Potatoes
- Purple potatoes are dark violet in color.
- They are in season all throughout the year.
- Matured purple potatoes are ideal for baking.
- These are natives to Peru and Bolivia, and are now commonly grown in South America, North America, and Europe.
- These variety of potato is said to taste similar to the white one although it has more of a nutty and creamy flavor
Nutritional Values Of Purple Potatoes
Purple potatoes are rich in:
- Has been proven to boost up the body’s immune system and prevent growth of certain kinds of cancer cells
- Considered as a powerful antioxidant which helps increase the production of cytokines
- Characterized as having anti-inflammatory properties
- Shown to be also responsible for lowering the risk of diseases brought about by hormones
- A phytochemical that helps lower blood pressure
- A very important energy source
- Regulates the body’s glucose level
- With high levels of potassium and extra antioxidants, purple potatoes are effective in regulating the body’s blood pressure. Although potatoes are naturally starchy, thus can lead to unwanted weight gain, purple potatoes have been reported to cause no effect to the weight at all.
- Being a beauty to the eye, purple potatoes can be a great substitute to artificial food coloring which can cause adverse damage to the body.
- Containing chlorogenic acids, purple potatoes can also save regular eaters from potential blood clotting, also referred to as thrombosis.
- The antioxidants and phytonutrients found in purple potatoes not only prevents cancer, but also reduces inflammation, treats liver dysfunction and/or hypertension, and averts the risks of any eye-related diseases.
- These fiber-rich organics regulate the body’s digestive functions and therefore puts a stop or completely eliminates constipation. The fiber in purple potatoes can also boost the body’s energy levels for a longer period of time. It is then an ideal diet for people who work for long hours or for athletes who require much endurance.
Purple Potatoes And Colon Cancer
Based on findings published in The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, several pigs were divided into two groups. The first one was given high-calorie diet while the second one was fed with high-calorie diet with a considerable amount of purple potatoes.
It was then revealed that pigs that were provided the high-calorie diet with purple potatoes had 6 times lower IL-6 levels compared to that of the other group.
Pigs have very similar digestive structure to that of humans, so although the study was only a success to the animals, it is not far from becoming a reality for humans too.
With these promising results, Jairam Vanamala, the associate professor of food sciences and faculty member at the Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute said that disease prevention and treatment tests in humans would next step. The expected results could be revolutionary.
Furthermore, researchers believe that a rainbow diet consisting colorful fruits and vegetables can also slow down or completely prevent such kinds of chronic diseases.
Other Health Benefits Of Purple Potatoes
Aside from lessening the threats of colon cancer, purple potatoes just like any other fruits and vegetables have so much more to offer.
Purple Potatoes Recipe Ideas
Mashed purple potatoes: Take mashed potatoes to a whole new level by making it colorful both for the pleasure of kids and adults alike
Roasted purple potatoes: With a mixture of other tasty veggies like cauliflower and garlic, simply roasting will be so much of a satisfaction for anyone with a big appetite.
Boiled fresh purple potatoes: Without any hassle in the kitchen, simply boiling these in water until they turn tender and adding butter to complete the taste is a one-of-a-kind healthy snack.
Purple potato salad: Just like your ordinary potato salad, purple potatoes which are definitely richer and healthier can also be mashed and baked.
Purple potato fries: Watch your favorite tv drama, and instead of popcorn, enjoy deep fried purple potatoes seasoned with salt and paired with catsup, cheese melt, or mayo.
Cancer is indeed a fearful ordeal you definitely wouldn’t want to go through. Therefore, as early as you can, start living a healthy lifestyle and eat the right food.
Fruits or vegetables, particularly purple potatoes, can possibly be even more beneficial than drugs of all sorts so consider putting them in combination with your daily meals as an early precautionary measure. Remember, your health is your greatest wealth.
Feature Image: Shutterstock.com
In-Post Image: Shutterstock.com & draxe.com