When Colonoscopy is Worth the Pain and Shame
Some medical tests just do not seem to be appealing to anyone at all. People often relate medical tests and procedures with blood. That is why most folks do not want to be subjected to these kinds of things. One of them is colonoscopy. For an ordinary person having no knowledge of medical terms, this may sound like something to be dreaded about. The truth is, it is not dreadful but most folks are certainly hesitant to undergo such procedure.
When a person has to undergo colonoscopy, his large and small bowels will be examined through the aid of fiber optic cameras called colonoscopes. A tube will be passed inside the anus so that doctors will have easier means to diagnose cancer cells, ulcers and polyps around the area. A surgical removal of the abnormalities usually follows after the test although it may not occur especially if the patient is hesitant or free from those uncommon digestive tract elements.
What Makes Some People Hesitate to Have Colonoscopy?
- Some patients find colonoscopy very uncomfortable and disturbing because of the organs involved and that it entitles the person to have his inner body examined.
- You may not function properly, perhaps because of pain after the examination and surgery. Assistance should be extended to you because you might not be able to move well after the operation.
- Pre-surgical precautions must be observed such as cleaning of bowel through intake of special formulations.
- Colonoscopy may damage some tissues and complications may occur such as perforations and excessive bleeding, which may cause death.
- There are less invasive and painless operations that can be performed instead of Colonoscopy.
Doctors claim that colonoscopy is a very efficient (gold standard) procedure to detect early manifestations of diseases related to the digestive system. Still, the reported deaths caused by colonoscopy complications are very alarming because the figures are considerably high. Statistics show that at least one person out of 1000 heads becomes problematic because of complications.
In order to address doubts about this procedure, you can do some preparation before the procedure so that it will be successful. It is important to find a very convenient schedule for the procedure so that there will be no need to rush. You can also speed up your recovery by stocking up on fruits and healthy foods. Furthermore, breathing exercises will also be beneficial for your mental and emotional health after the procedure.
Nevertheless, one who wishes to predict an incoming disease should undergo medical conditions that correct body malfunctions. You should not be afraid of getting a colonoscopy because it is obviously advisable to prevent diseases from arising. Fast results are also delivered after each session and one does not have to go back over and over to the clinic just to have examinations.