Whether you call it as colonic, colonics, high colonic, colonic cleansing, colonic irrigation or colon hydrotherapy, this method is probably the most effective of the entire colon cleansing plans and products that can help us to get rid of the harmful junks accumulated in our bowels.
What Is Colonic?
Colonic is a known bowel cleansing process based on the principles of administration of enema. Also known as colonics, colonic irrigation and colon hydrotherapy, what colonic entails is introducing temperature-regulated warm water into the colon through a rectal catheter.
The washing of the bowel through enema or colonic has been used since time immemorial to rid the body of the hardened feces along with the associated toxic matters, unfriendly bacteria and parasites. This bowel irrigating action of colonic also helps in streamlining the colon functions as also in bringing considerable relief in number of related health conditions.
How Is Colonic Carried Out?
The sequence of action followed during the colonic process is given below:
- Massage of the lower abdomen.
- Insertion of a disposable catheter duly sterilized and applied with a water-based lubricant into the rectum.
- Introduction of clean, warm water (temperature-regulated and gravity-fed) into the bowel through the catheter tube.
- The accumulated fecal matters are gradually expelled as warm water continues to be infused through the tube. This action is repeated more than once to get the optimum kind of results.
While carrying out the colonic procedure, the therapist must ensure the following:
- Proper hygiene and sanitation measures to prevent any kind of cross-contamination. The therapist must put on a pair of disposable gloves at the very outset of the procedure.
- Any kind of blockage in the tubing during the colonic process must be cleared instantaneously.
- The water temperature is kept well below 40° C (ideally around 37.6° C – our normal body temperature) to prevent any kind of burn or thermal distress.
A single session of colonic lasts for about 30 to 45 minutes. The entire procedure uses up almost 20 liters of water.
Costs of colonic procedures could vary from place to place depending on various factors. Nevertheless, a single session could cost anything from US$50 to US$90 with possible discounts permitted for multi-session deals.
Risks and Side Effects
Colonic can involve certain risks and side effects. In case one happens to have diarrhea or an impaired immune system, he should consult his doctor before opting for colonic irrigation.
The side effects could include gastrointestinal infections as also infections due to inadequacy in observing hygienic and sanitation measures. Colonic too could cause development of colon ulcer, diverticulitis and hemorrhoids. There have also been frequent instances of thermal shock (caused due to improper temperature regulation during the process) and post-colonic inability, albeit temporarily, to hold back frequent urge for bowel movements.
Colonic Versus Other Colon Cleansing Products/Methods
From the surface of it, colonic appears to be a little costlier than some other methods, particularly in comparison with the natural or the herbal-based ones. The colonic process due to its minimal invasive nature could prove a little traumatic for people who feel uncomfortable about the insertion of the catheter through the anus.
Despite these apparent drawbacks, Colonic may not prove to be as costly or as traumatic that one may view it to be. Even more so, if one can manage to eliminate the undesirable elements such as the feces and toxins lodged threateningly on the walls of the colon from the body rather effectively and comprehensively.